November 23, 2016

Surgeries

The incision on my stomach was pretty big!
My first surgery was at 2 weeks old. I had a pyloromyotomy (say that 3 times fast, I dare you) to widen the opening between my stomach and small intestine. The official term for what I had is Pyloric Stenosis, a blockage of the opening, due to a thickened pyloric muscle. Considering stomach/digestive issues associated with CF, it's surprising this is completely unrelated to it.

My parents were in Casper visiting family and showing off their adorable new baby, and I was having major issues with projectile vomiting. My mom took me to the doctor to have it checked out and found out that all 6 lbs of me would need emergency surgery. I do need to mention here that the doctor that diagnosed me with this is the same doctor that will 5 years later diagnose me with CF. Shout out to Dr. Green and my mom for essentially saving my life, not once, but twice!

Now I can't image that sending your new baby into surgery is a walk in the park and I was so small that they had to put the IV into my head. After surgery my mom was able to see me and the IV had slipped and started filling the space between my skull and scalp with fluid. She tells the story much better than I can, but needless to say she was a little shocked at my new alien-like appearance.

The surgeon wasn't exactly delicate with their incision or sutures so I still have a pretty distinct scar on my stomach. I'm told that it looked like a caterpillar because of the way the sutures stuck out of my stomach and to this day it still looks like a giant bug.

------

Luckily I was able to make it several years without having to go into surgery again, but my second major one was just as unplanned. I was 25 and living on my own in Denver. I hadn't been feeling well and started to develop severe pain in my abdomen and wasn't able to keep much food down. At this point I hadn't really been seeing my CF clinic on a regular basis, so I went to an urgent care clinic. After a blood test (high white count), vaginal ultrasound (maybe it was ovarian cysts), and a CT scan, I was sent to see a surgeon to take out my appendix. They also saw a spot on my liver in the scan so I had a liver biopsy done at the same time.

A week after having my appendix out and still not feeling any better, I got a call from the surgeon that my tests came back negative for appendicitis, which was very frustrating to say the least. I called my CF clinic and explained everything to the nurse, and in a heartbeat she said that it was DIOS (an intestinal blockage) and made an appointment for me to get that treated. She was correct, and that was my hard-learned lesson to always check with my CF clinic first.

------

My last major surgery was a few years later to have my sinuses cleaned out (scraped) along with a septoplasty and shaving down of my turbinates. Sinus issues are a big part of having CF and most CFers get this surgery every so often to clear things out. Incidentally my non-CF sister had to have this same surgery, so it's tough to say if mine is fully CF related, or if I'm just super lucky.

This surgery was quite possibly the best thing that I've ever done. I was having daily debilitating headaches by the time I had it, and though I still get sinus headaches, they're nothing like they were before. Every few years I get a CT scan done of my head to make sure my sinuses are still clear and luckily I can say that they are. Most of my sinus problems now are just due to swelling, which is why I use a nasal spray every day.

Interesting side note: I found out that I don't have a sinus cavity above my right eye at all, it just never formed (insert hard-headed jokes here). One way that chronic sinus issues can be treated is to obliterate the cavities, so I'm partway there naturally!

1 comment:

  1. It's always fascinating to me how many things our surgeons and doctors can do to improve our lives! Glad the sinus one worked for you :)

    ReplyDelete